Linux Or Windows Hosting
Do not think that the operating system that your computer runs on has any contribution to how you create your website. Most people tend to think that it is important yet it is not! The most important thing in dictating what type of hosting that you need to use is the language in which your site is programmed and what kind of data base that you might use with you site. Below are some of the best features that Windows based hosting and Linux based hosting comes with.
Features of Windows based hosting
- Windows based hosting supports programming languages ASP and ASP.NET run only on Windows based hosting and on top of that it can also support PHP and Perl.
- Another benefit of using Windows hosting is that all the other products from Microsoft come integrated.
- When it comes to compatibility, Windows hosting is more compatible with Linux based programming features such as My SQL and PHP but the opposite is not always true.
- Windows hosting uses MS SQL database, so if your business uses this database, you do not have any other option.
- Finally, a website that has been programmed to work on a Linux based server can comfortably be hosted by a windows server, however, the opposite is not true.
- Another reason why windows hosting is really popular is that many people find it more familiar to use, as more people have encountered Microsoft products.
- For Access databases, Windows based hosting is more compatible and it is the only plat form that can be used to run this database.
- Only a Windows-based hosting platform can be used if your business uses Microsoft technologies as no other platform can support Microsoft technologies.
- Windows hosting is very specific as it allows Microsoft’s product’s to be easily integrated.
Features of Linux based hosting
- Linux based hosting supports programming languages such as Perl, Python, Ruby (RoR) and PHP.
- This kind of hosting uses My SQL databases.
- When it comes to the cost, Linux based hosting is cheaper seeing that Linux is an open source software, thus no licensing costs and so forth.
- The stability of Linux-based hosting is better as compared to Windows hosting.
- Linux hosting is also a little faster than Windows-based hosting, which is mainly brought about by the varying technologies that each operating system applies.
- Linux hosting is very user-friendly.
- It is possible to download Linux OS and on top of that it is convenient and very easy to use.
- The uptime that is offered by Linux hosting is longer than that offered by Windows hosting.
- When the load is high, Linux based servers perform better than Windows servers.
- The security of Linux based hosting is also better than that of windows hosting as they are less prone to attacks.
- Databases are a very useful tool when it comes to optimizing communication. The fact that Linux can handle a huge number of databases, from mSQL, PostgreSQL and My SQL among others, makes Linux a better placed hosting platform.
The major difference between Linux hosting and windows hosting is the operating system that the web server uses, otherwise, a website can work smoothly on either on the platforms. Though both of the hosting platforms are good enough, Linux hosting has been seen to be more stable and Linux servers can easily handle high loads better than Windows. However, there are several things that are similar, such as: the monthly storage space, e-mails, bandwidth filters and back up.