Virtual Private Server hosting, commonly referred to as ‘VPS hosting’ is a service provided by web hosting service providers as a midway solution between a completely dedicated server and a shared hosting format.
With VPS, the physical servers are shared amongst clients, but individual virtual space is completely isolated. The result is that of a dedicated server too.
VPS hosting has the following benefits:
- As compared to shared hosting, where all the clients on the same server affect each other, VPS partitions on the server is isolated from the other and the client has full control over his own server space. If there is a problem on a website or if any other website is experiencing heavy traffic, the other websites remain completely unaffected.
- VPS offers all the flexibility and independence at much lower cost.
- The client can install any desired software because they have full root control.
- When using VPS hosting you generally get a dedicated IP address.
- VPS hosting ensures that you are getting a particular volume of disk space, bandwidth and memory and, thus, the overall performance is better.
- VPS hosting is considered to be a safe and secure option due to virtualization.
This kind of hosting service does not rely on single server, but instead uses network of servers, which might be at different locations, to create cloud servers. So, your website is fed by a pool of resources (RAM, CPU, Storage and bandwidth), which can be adjusted in real time. Cloud hosting has its own advantages, which can be summed up as follows:
- Cloud hosting dynamically serves the changing needs of various websites and resources that are allocated in real time. There is automatic scalability. In time of high traffic of visitors on your website you get additional servers/resources. Also, in times of low traffic, you scale down and do not have redundant resources.
- If you are dependent on a single server, your website too will go down when failure happens. But if you are using a cloud hosting service there will be other servers readily available to keep your website going.
- This type of service is based on ‘pay-per-use’ model and you pay only for what you use. This, in turn, is cost effective. Normally there is no setup fee or administrative fee involved either.
- Cloud hosting offers more flexibility and freedom with efficiency and minimum costs.
- Cloud hosting is secure and reliable as the website data tends to be stored in machines in different locations or data centers. Almost all the hosting service providers that extend cloud-hosting services have 24×7 customer support, which can be vital.
In Comparison Conclusion
The basic difference between VPS hosting and cloud hosting is that VPS offers a single divided server, and cloud hosting offers a “cloud” of server that are connected together and act as one. VPS hosting has physically less hardware involved, so it is cheaper. The best way to choose is to first define your websites requirements and then going ahead with VPS Hosting or Cloud Hosting.